Beefy, flavorful, tender, juicy, and all the things you want in your beef ribs you can find it in these southern beef ribs. These scrumptious tender beef ribs have a sweet and tangy taste mix of regional southern sauces.
Do you know how tender, meaty beef short ribs are classic cold-weather comfort fare? when it comes to this southern delicacy, you can eat them even during the summer or anytime you crave some tasty ribs. They are an extremely hands-off and foolproof way to cook your ribs
Tips and Tricks for Beef Short Ribs
- First of all, make sure to take off the membrane. There’s this thick membrane that ribs have that needs to be removed before cooking. The reason is that when left on, the rib becomes tough and hard to chew (chewy). You can ask the butcher to remove it for you or just remove it yourself. Just assure that you remove every last shred of that membrane. Slide your fingers under the membrane or simply use a thin sharp knife or screwdriver to help it come loose.
- The secret to delectable beef ribs is to cook them low and slow over indirect heat. Cooking them this way makes them tender and very flavorful and additionally helps to prevent them from drying off by retaining all the delicious juiciness.
- When baking the ribs, a lot of smoke might fill up your kitchen, and it’s okay to have a smoke stain in your oven. Just make sure to clean it.
- Ever heard of the notion that Southern Short Ribs are better the next day. You might be surprised to know that it’s true. It’s almost like a night in the fridge melds and unifies the flavors. Crazy right? Just make sure to finish straining the liquid and then store the ribs and the gravy separately. When you want to eat the next day, heat them together in a large pot on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Marinate your beef ribs in a good marinade. This helps create fall-off-the-bone meat and adds or enhances the ribs’ flavor. You can decide to use a rub and let the seasoning seep into the ribs overnight. Of course, this needs prior planning. For an option, you can mop the beef with barbecue sauce during the cooking process. Some chefs contend that marinating overnight with a rub improves the flavor, while others prefer not to infuse the beef with spices and salt. Either way, the result will be fall-apart ribs that are tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- If you decide on using a rub, you need to plan since you need to have time to let the ribs brine overnight. Just rub your dry spice mix over both sides of the ribs, wrap them in plastic wrap or put them in a Ziploc bag, and put them in the fridge.
- If you’re going to boil your ribs before grilling, wrap them in foil during grilling.
- 3 lbs. meaty beef ribs
- olive oil
- garlic powder (1 tablespoon)
- onion powder (1 tablespoon)
- Cajun seasoning (1 tablespoon)
- dark brown sugar (2 tablespoons)
- chili powder (1 tablespoon)
- salt (1 or 1 ½ teaspoon)
- paprika (1 teaspoon)
- oregano (2 teaspoons)
- Favorite BBQ Sauce
In a bowl mix all the seasonings to make the rub. Lightly coat the ribs with olive oil and then generously sprinkle rub over both sides and rub in with your fingers. Then, put the ribs in a Ziploc bag and marinate in the fridge for some hours or overnight
- Preheat your oven to 2500F
- Line the baking tray with foil and place the ribs on it in a single layer
- Create a pouch for the ribs to cook in by adding another foil on top of the lined ribs.
- Seal the edges of the aluminum foil tightly so that steam won’t seep out.
- Put the baking tray on the middle rack and bake for 3 1/2 -4 hours. At this point, check on it and if it isn’t ready yet, don’t worry, the oven temperature is very low so you can afford to cook it a bit longer.
- When the ribs are ready, drain off the excess fat and brush the ribs with the desired amount of barbecue sauce.
- Broil on low for an additional 10 minutes or until the tops of the ribs turn brown and crispy or the sauce is sticky. Make sure to keep an eye on the ribs so that the sauce does not burn.
- Serve and enjoy!!
You can also check out this southern smothered short ribs recipe.